Thursday, October 20, 2011

Beck's Cajun Cafe at Reading Terminal Market

My dinner at Beck's Cajun Cafe: Fried Shrimp Po Boy, Sweet Potato
Fries and Ginger Ale. See below for close-up photos.
(photos: TheHopefulTraveler)
I didn't have much time to take a quick rest, unpack, shower, grab dinner and allow time to walk to the theatre for an 8pm curtain time of a performance that I had booked for my first night's entertainment. Since my flight was delayed by three hours I didn't' finally get into my room at the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown until after 4:30pm. I like to be organized for trips even short ones and rushing isn't the way to start things off.

Being this was my first visit to Philadelphia and this hotel, I had no idea how close the Reading Terminal Market was to the hotel. My taxi driver remarked that it is a great place to find all kinds of food. So I quickly checked into my room, dropped my bags and headed for an early dinner. I didn't each lunch and I was hungry.

The taxi driver was right. The market had lots of choices and the menu at Beck's Cajun Cafe really whet my appetite. I never ate a 'po boy' sandwich and decided on the one with fried shrimp ($8.50; New Orleans sandwich served on French bread with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and creole mayo). It really hit the spot. The fried shrimp were cooked perfectly and were hot and crispy. Maybe I wasn't eating it correctly but I had an issue with some of the shrimp falling out of my sandwich. It didn't matter I finished those felled pieces as well.

Beck's sweet potato fries was a complimentary side ($3.25). I would have preferred them to be bit more crispy but it appears these fries aren't prepared that way. They were not overly spicy and I actually wasn't able to finish them. I took the extra back to my hotel to snack while unpacking. I washed down both items with a ginger ale (total for the meal was about $14.50).

I found the servers helpful and my wait was short. But it appears this was a slow time as closing time for the eatery was near. The menu also includes gumbos, jambalaya, beignets and complete lunch platters. Because of Reading Terminal Market's location I would likely be returning to visit more eateries.

Visit beckscajuncafe.com for more info. Click HERE to view their menu. Located in the Reading Terminal Market (12th and Arch Streets) in Philadelphia. Hours: Mon-Sat 8am-6pm; Sun 9am-5pm.






0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...