Sunday, July 3, 2011

St. Patrick's Cathedral After A Sunday Service


(photo credit: TheHopefulTraveler)
Along my trek of Fifth Avenue, I happen to view the end of a Sunday morning service at St. Patrick's Cathedral. Although I've probably passed by the cathedral during each of my visits to the city, I have never been inside. With the massive doors along Fifth Avenue open, myself and other tourists got a glimpse of the cathedral's immense interior from across the street. The photo at the top is a detail above these doors.

St. Patrick's is the largest Catholic cathedral in the United States with seating for 2,200 and welcomes over three million visitors each year. Inspired by European originals, especially the Cologne Cathedral in Germany, it has a spire that soars 330 feet above street level. Construction of the church began in 1853 and it was consecrated in 1879.

Visit saintpatrickscathedral.org for more information. The church is located between 50th and 51st Streets on Fifth Avenue.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...