Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Ollie's Noodle Shop: Simple & Fast Chinese Food



When the Ollie's location closed in Times Square, I lost my go-to-Chinese-food place. I loved that when I stopped by I could place my take out order and within less than ten minutes my food was ready. Okay I know it's not the best sign when dishes can be prepared that quickly but I enjoyed the food.

Fortunately other locations are still open. I've been to the Ollie's Noodle Shop on the Upper West Side before and chose to dine here today before a theatre matinee. At peak dinner time the place is packed literally to the rafters as diners overflow into the second floor dining room. Here the service is fast and the food cheap. The dishes are prepared with varying degrees of quality as we all inevitably compare Chinese restaurants to the ones we frequent back home.

Ollie's offers a luncheon special Mon-Fri 11:30am-3pm (except on holidays) that has fifteen entree choices all served with a choice of soup (wonton, hot & sour, egg drop) and either steamed brown or white rice. I chose the roast pork and vegetables over rice. The soup is a side serving with three wontons in the broth. If the pork was a little dry, at least I can say I was satisfied for the time being to get through a afternoon without going hungry.

I find it cute that the meal still comes with a fortune cookie. Together with a can of Coke and tax is $9.80 (not including tip). Not bad for a sit-down New York lunch.

The Upper West Side location of Ollie's is at 1991 Broadway between 67th and 68th Streets a couple blocks north of Lincoln Center. Hours: 11:30am-11:30pm daily. The restaurant offers dine-in, take-out and delivery. Click HERE for the menu.

(photos: TheHopefulTraveler)

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...