His casting is something unusual. First of all he is only playing the part for two weeks of performances. He completed one week earlier in September and two weeks later is performing a second week. The reason is the 25th anniversary of the original London production of ‘Les Miserables'. To celebrate, producer Cameron Mackintosh is presenting a concert version of the musical at the O2 arena featuring an all star cast. Boe is performing in the Queen’s production as part of the rehearsal period for the O2 concert. Also performing at the O2 concert is Nick Jonas of the Jonas Brothers as Marius and Broadway favorites, Lea Salonga as Fantine and Norm Lewis as Javert. British character actor Matt Lucas takes on the role of Thenardier and Ramin Karimloo, the Phantom of ‘Love Never Dies’, plays Enjolras.
|Alfie Boe as Jean Valjean|
There is one inherent problem with producting ‘Les Mis’. Because the musical requires such a large cast of supporting characters, sometimes the strength of the singing or acting wavers depending on the role. Until I saw the 25th Anniversary Touring production last week at the Barbican, it has been a while since I saw a production with a cast that was cohesive.
|Norm Lewis as Javert|
Otherwise Boe was in fine form controlling his operatic tenor into one appropriate for a West End production. I am always impressed when a performer can act out the roll with the perfect amount of emotion and still let us know each word that is sung. Boe invests himself in the role and there you have a generous performer. Definitely sorry I will miss his Valjean performance at the O2.
- Website: lesmis.com
- Where: Queen's Theatre, London (Tube: Piccadilly Circus)
- When: Mon-Sat 7:30pm; Wed & Sat 2:30
- Running Time: 3 hrs
- Ticket Prices: £15 - £62.50
- Opening: Apr 3, 2004 (transfer date to Queen's; previews from Apr 12, 2004)
- Closing: Open Run
- Book online: delfontmackintosh.co.uk
- Book by phone: 0844 482 5160
- Cast Recording: Les Miserables Original London Cast, Les Miserables Complete Symphonic Recording, Les Miserables 10th Anniversary Concert, Les Miserables 2010 Cast
- Concert DVD: Les Miserables: The 10th Anniversary Dream Cast in Concert at London's Royal Albert Hall
|All production photos used only for illustration purposes.|
|Boe as Valjean|