Friday, June 29, 2012

Gingers Restaurant at the DoubleTree Suites Hotel New York City - Times Square

The red colors of Gingers flows the elevator bank on the DoubleTree
Times Square 5th Floor. A framed picture of Ginger Rogers and Fred
Astaire decorate a wall.  (photos: TheHopefulTraveler)
Ever since I lost my gold level benefits in the Hilton HHonors Rewards program by not meeting the required minimum stays or nights at Hilton hotels, I've not dined at the main restaurant at the DoubleTree Times Square. Albeit I only went there for breakfast since it was complimentary for gold level members. Since the restaurant was recently renovated and now called Gingers I decided to give it a try.

Advertised to pay tribute to the Roaring Twenties when Broadway was in full swing with light-hearted musicals, the restaurant takes its namesake from actor/singer/dancer Ginger Rodgers, who at the age of 19, starred on Broadway in the musical 'Girl Crazy'. In spite of its name, there are just hints of Asian decorative accents in the color, wall paper and dining furnishings.

As usual I chose to dine shortly after Gingers opened for dinner to beat any crowds. Though I was seated and my order taken quickly, it was slow going for bread and butter to be served that it came after my order of Onion Soup Gratinee ($10). Topped with melted Gruyere and Parmesan, the broth was flavorful and the cheese melted perfectly.

I finished my glass of Iced Tea ($5) and was on the verge of finishing my water when I had to request for a refill of both drinks before my entree arrived. I chose the Jambalaya ($28; blackened chicken and shrimp in spicy jambalaya sauce with andouille sausage and tasso ham served in a linguini fini and topped with fresh greens). The dish had far too much salt that I could not taste anything. I did finish the sausage and some of the pasta but the chicken was tough. I did not finish the dish. Even the though the server advised he could wrap it to take away noting that my hotel room has a microwave, I declined.

The crusty bread and butter filled me up and I was finished. I thought for sure the restaurant would be filled with a dinner crowd trying to get a meal before the curtain time of a Broadway show this Friday night but the room remained sparsely filled with diners. All of the servers were pleasant but for the food I will be hard pressed to dine at Gingers again.

Gingers Restaurant is opened daily from 6:30am-10pm (breakfast 6:30am-11:30pm; buffet breakfast 6:30am-11:00am; lunch 11:30am-5:00pm; dinner 5:00pm-10:00pm). Located on the 5th Level of the DoubleTree Times Square Hotel.
Gingers Breakfast Menu (PDF)
Gingers Lunch Menu (PDF)
Gingers Dinner Menu (PDF)

Jambalaya
Onion Soup Gratinee
Bread and butter
The host's station at Gingers.
Entry to the dining room at Gingers.

The renovated restaurant at the DoubleTree Times Square now called Gingers.
(photos: TheHopefulTraveler)

1 comments:

Sugar Cookie Recipes said...

I enjoyed reading your blog, thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...