Friday, October 21, 2011

Morimoto Philadelphia: No Reservations, Dinner for One


The sleek exterior of Morimoto on Chestnut Street.
(photos: TheHopefulTraveler)
One of the things I learned as a solo diner when traveling is to eat dinner early. You beat the crowds, service is often quicker and a table can often be had without a reservation. I took my chance with Morimoto in Philadelphia and arrived at the restaurant shortly after it opened at 5pm on this Saturday night. With no problem I got a table for one.

Since I had not eaten lunch I was famished by 5pm. So almost anything on the menu looked delectable. To start, a glass of choya umeshu (plum sake, $12) flavored with ume fruit is interesting sweet and tart without being cloyingly so. Paired with Fuji sill water ($6) would keep me hydrated and prevent me from sipping my drink in a minute.

As an appetizer the whitefish carpaccio ($16) drizzled with yuzu soy and hot oil packs a fresh full taste. I saw the surf & turf on the menu at the Hawaii location and chose to try it this evening. Comprised of Kobe sirloin and hamachi ($39), it is pretty good. The beef was perfectly cooked and combined with the herbed potatoes was a hearty compliment to the elegant ribbons of fish mixed tableside into an avocado salad.

The black sesame moussecake ($10; flourless cake, chocolate ganache and sesame mousse with raspberry sauce) paired with coffee ($3.50) served as the finale for this dinner. The beautiful prepared deceptive slice made for a rich desert. Although delicious the chocolate was more evident than any sesame flavor.

My server Jacob was attentive without being distracting about it; nor I was rushed. Each course of my meal was delivered in good time after the previous one. I appreciate a restaurant that doesn't give me the chance to feel idle. The striking but comfortable design of the interior mixes colors and glass. Tables along the walls in the are reserved for up to two persons. Tables that run in the center seats small parties.

Visit morimotorestaurant.com for more information. Hours: Mon-Fri 11:30am-2pm; Dinner Sun-Wed 5pm-10pm; Thu 5pm-11pm; Fri-Sat 5pm-Midnight. Location: 723 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia PA 19106.

The modern interior (above and below) glows in different colors. The photo
above was taken from my table.
The view after entering the restaurant.
A unique lamp served as the table centerpiece.
Whitefish carpaccio
Morimoto surf and turf: Kobe sirloin and hamachi ribbons with
herbed potatoes.
Black sesame moussecake paired with coffee.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...